A european leader
Challenge Agriculture is a tensiometry specialist,
partner of Irrometer Co for 30 years,
and a european leader of this technique.
Challenge Agriculture’s road map
Two boosters :
- an agronomic vocation of the CEO,
- technical projects around measuring and adjusting objectively water and minerals, to optimize agricultural production.
- aiming gains for agriculture, customers and partners.
We manufacture and repair in our plant in Ambillou.
The fleet permanently operationnal outside is of 75 000 sensors in action.
Hardware, firmware and software for Monitor are designed and made by ourselves, relatives and close suppliers.
Conception and realization are 100 % made in France.
Our boards R2-DX® , R2-DL ..
WATERMARK® sensors (Irrometer Co)
are mounted, cabled under 60 different presentations.
Our curriculum vitae :
Soil water under control.
- 1983 – Xavier EFTIMAKIS, young agricultural ingeneer, starts growing kiwifruits + half time as technical adviser.
- Performing orchard, but badly expropriated by a highway.
- 1986 – Founder of Challenge Agriculture for : Soil water management.
- Measuring tool in 1986 : Irrometer tensiometers, mostly in fruit and vegetable industries. Advise + instruction books conception.
- 1989 – Leader of tensiometry French market.
- Sitevi 90 : encouraging from CERT comitee.
- 1990 – WATERMARK® sensor in France + Italy + Switzerland.
- Working on instruction book and methods.
- Sifel- Agen – awards.
Water and Nitrogen management.
- 1990 – Challenge Agriculture opens to : water and nitrogen.
- 1993 – WATERMARK® becomes european leader.
- 1993 – 1999 : Jubil – INRA-ITCF . Nitrogen fertilization adjustement.
- Exclusive manufacturing of the Jubil kit , marketing, extension to farmers and advisors.
- 1994 – Nitrachek 404. Applications and instruction book.
- Inter-Sima 94 – Gold medal for : agronomic applications of RQflex®.
- 1994 – Challenge Agriculture leads the quick nitrate measures in water, soil and plants. In 10 ans, more than 3 millions field measures.
- 1995 – a patent
- 1997 – Nitrasol is leading N-min on farm. Instruction book author.
- 1997 – 1999 : Jubil® leads Nitrogen fertilization adjustement on cereals
- Collegial writing of methods : Jubil® on wheat, potatoe, corn.
- 40 000 fields annualy controlled in France.
Water and minerals.
- Sifel 1999 – reward for a kit “Nitrafeuille- CTIFL” on salad.
- This kit helps producers to self control nitrate residus in salad.
- 1997 – 1999 – european innovation : Nutrichek for field measurement of sulfate in cereals.
- 1999 – Conception and launching of Nutrichek apps on anions : N P S.
- 1999 – Remarquable study on phosphorus in wheat stem juice with FDCETA 35, resulting in economies for a decenny.
- 1999 – Remarquable study on Nitrogen / Sulfur on 500 ha of barley with Cooperative PUISEAUX
- Results : + 7.33 qx in standards (+2 à + 16 qx) + 0.55 % proteins (all within standards).
The cooperative breaks existing practices and receives 6000 qx more out of same surface. Extension of method under the name. AOB : Atelier Orge brassicole. The cooperative beats its record by 4000 qx in 2000, mostly by increasing the lowest yields. Confirmation in 2001. New record in 2002.
- 1999 – Launching of PILAZO®
- 2000 – Study on sulfur on 650 fileds of wheat, in France.
- 2000 – Nutrichek : measuring cations K Ca Mg.
- 2000 – First measures on rapeseed, potatoe, sugar beat, tabacco.
- 2001 – Orignial study on wheat sulfur nutrition and flour technology.
- 2002 – Extension of N/S annual adjustment + P control.
- 2002 – Launching PILAZO® on Melon with CTIFL.
- 2003 – Launching field N-min / S-min with Nutrichek.
- 2003 – Sofware design : AOB – Blé Améliorant – BPS
- 2003 – Design of “Grapheur WATERMARK”, an Excel app / open source.
- 2004 – Launching of data logger “WATERMARK®Monitor” (Irrometer)
Results over 1995 – 2001:
WATERMARK®, allowed, over 6 years, the “farm France” to economize or transform in harvest, around 100 millions de m3 of improductive water.
Nitrachek allowed the “farm France” to gain around 4 millions qx on same period.
Nutrichek produced effects on growing more equilibrated plants.
- 2003 – 2006 – work on precision of WATERMARK® sensor for Europe.
- 2005 – WATERMARK® Monitor on “Melon du Haut Poitou”.
- Up to 50 % of economy on drip irrigation and better quality.
- 2005 – WATERMARK® Monitor on banana in Martinique.
- 2005 – Lauching the Web site www.tensiometrie.fr
- 2006 – WATERMARK® Monitor on Apple trees in Saintonge.
- Gain in size of fruit and economy of 30 to 60 % of water.
- 2006 – WATERMARK® Monitor sur semence potagère en Anjou.
- 2006 – WATERMARK® Monitor on blue berries in Anjou.
- 2006 – WATERMARK® Monitor on Asparagus. Adapted design
- 2007 – WATERMARK® Monitor on vegetable seeds in Val de Loire.
- 2008 – Gestion de la nappe de Beauce. Audit technico-économique de l’exploitation.
- 2008 – Telemetry of tensiometric data.
- 2009 – 2012 – Extension of tensiometry field service.
- 2010 – Interesting work on irrigation / yield and quality of onions
- 2011 – First trials of wet bulb imaging,
- 2012 – Field service on 130 fields of corn for 8 Agriculture chambers
- 2013 – EU tensiometry leader by telemetry with 1000 Monitors on line.
- 2014 – Manufacture of 3 new Monitors : R2-DL, R2-DX® R2-DX®smart Hard & soft 100 % designed and made in France.
- 2014-2015 – 30 agronomic vidéos on line / open source.
- 2015 – Specialized work on Asparagus with Christian Befve.
- 2015 – Smart irrigation with R2-DX®-smart
- 2015 – 2016 – numerous interesting missions in latin america
- 2016 – Improving real time graphs and charts on line
- 2016 – Developpement of Wet bulb imaging on line, with R2-DX®
- 2017 – Leading irrigation management with 3000 Monitor on line
- 5000 Monitors Data logger and still 4000 handheld meters.
- 10 millions additionnal data per year
- 2018 – success of our advise dialog box on line, with 900 regular users, exchanging 10 000 dialogs on line per year.